Monday, May 22, 2017

Mystery Monday -- Lachlan and Gladys Stewart

I have a headache of a dilemma.  I have Gladys Jost Stewart living at a home two years BEFORE she was born.

As I have been going down each line of descendants for Andreas and Sophia Rohrsen Wenkel, I found something that is very confusing for me.

I got to Gladys Jost Stewart, who married Lachlan Stewart.  Gladys is the daughter of Roy and Frieda Wenkel Jost, the Granddaughter of immigrants August F.A. and Sophia Rohrsen Wenkel.

From Ancestry.com

But, as I research and confirm the records of residence and dates of birth and census records, I have Gladys living with Lachlan two years BEFORE she is born!

Okay, so I thought "This will straighten itself out in the end."  I figured that more research will reveal a typographical error, or a transcriptional error.  But no!  I have a headache now, because it gets more and more confusing.

The only scenario that makes sense is if Lachlan A. Stewart and Gladys Stewart (who were both 41 at the 1940 Census was the FIRST set of Lachlan/Gladys couple.

Note that in the 1940 Census, they have a son, Lachlan Jr.  I suspect THIS Lachlan is the husband of my Gladys Marie Jost.

I have to research this some more, and I will update as I find out the solution to this mystery.  Sometimes, I have to come up with (I am a nurse, so I think in terms of nursing) a working diagnosis.  This means that I have a hypothesis (there are TWO sets of Lachlan/Gladys units) and now I must see if my research supports my working hypothesis.  I may be wrong, of course.


UPDATE -- My working diagnosis was correct.  My Lachlan/Gladys unit was Lachlan III and Gladys M. Jost Stewart.  His parents were Lachlan II and Gladys A. Stewart.  And, yet, there is a third Lachlan Stewart who is the immigrant from Scotland.
From Ancestry.com

And it all began with a headache.  Headache is now resolved with application of the right treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment