Monday, May 15, 2017

Military Monday -- August Paul Wenkel 1898-1973

August Paul Wenkel and siblings 3 generation pedigree
from Ancestry.com

1918 World War 1 Draft Registration Card
August Paul Wenkel

August P Wenkel, born 14 June 1898 is 20 years old when he registered for the Draft in World War I.  He was living at Rural Route #2 in Standish Michigan.  He is white, native born, with blue eyes and brown hair and of medium build.  He worked for a buttery hauling milk.  He lists his nearest relative as August Wenkel (August F.A. Wenkel, his father), with the same address.  This looks like it may be his own signature.  Interestingly, he signs as August Wenkel Jr.

Update -- 5/16/2017.
There has been some wonderment that this may not be the proper August Wenkel.  I'd been fooled once before, but as I re-analyze this WWI draft card, I can explain why I am sure this is the correct August Wenkel, my grandfather.

  • Line 1 -- the name is August P. Wenkel, Jr.  While technically my grandfather was not actually a Junior (he had a different middle name) for all intents and purposes he was August Jr, the son of August.
  • Line 2 -- RR#2, Standish, Arenac, Michigan.  I believe but cannot prove right now that the RR#2 is an address I've seen before, but I CAN say that Standish is the hometown of my August Wenkel family.
  • Line 3 and 4 -- the birth date is spot on, and his age is 20 years old.  The math works out.
  • Line 5 and 10 -- he is a white native-born male.
  • Line 19 and 20 -- his nearest relative is listed as August Wenkel, presumably the Senior above, with the exact same address.  It was not uncommon for young men to live with their families at the age of 20.
I am confident this is the draft card for my grandfather, August Paul Wenkel.

_________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment