Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Andrew Wenkel Part 3 1920-1929


1920, age 20 Census

Gibson, Bay, Michigan

Andrew Wenkel in Gibson MI


He is 19 years old, living and working on the family farm with his parents in Gibson, Bay, Michigan. He and his sister Sophie are the only two children left on the farm.  It seems August owns the farm, rather than renting it.

1920s

Photos used with permission from Christi Adams.  I can see a bit of my grandfather August Wenkel (and his sons, my Uncle Laurence Wenkel, and Uncle Howard Wenkel) in this first photo.  Those are some large hands.

Andrew Wenkel at the Cloverleaf Hohlfelder Dairy
with Ellen, Glencoe Illinois

Andrew Wenkel at the Cloverleaf Hohlfelder Dairy
with children, Glencoe Illinois

These children are listed on Ancestry.com as Edwin H., Bud H., Eleanor, Ellen, Billy and Myrtle Ekelman.  I think that Edwin and Bud are Hohlfelder children, and the other four are the Ekelman's.


1925, age 25 Residence

Auto Mechanic living at 859 Vernon Avenue, Evanston, Illinois

Andrew Wenkel 1925 Directory

I looked at this address, and the house standing here now was built in 1995.  It is now part of Glencoe IL.  When I searched Evanston, I did find Vernon Avenue.  I did a streetview "walk" down the street and found 859 Vernon, it was across from a school (or it was replaced by the school) -- wait a minute -- it keeps sending me back to Glencoe!  I want to find Vernon Avenue in Evanston.   Never mind.

1925 Tri-State Tornado

Historical Insight from Ancestry.com

After the tornadoes dissipated, citizens began cleaning up the wreckage of their homes. It was not uncommon to find a table still in place in the kitchen with walls crumbled around it. March 18, 1925, Princeton, Indiana. Credit: Archive Farms/Hulton Archive/Getty Images


1927, age 27 Residence

Evanston, Illinois

Andrew F. Wenkel
1925 Evanston IL directory


Once again, he is an auto mechanic living at 859 Vernon Avenue, Evanston IL.  Look on the first column of the second page.  He is listed here as Andrew F. Wenkel.  Why?  Typographical error?  If you know, please let me know.  There is a possibility that I have two different Andrew Wenkel men.  I want to make sure.



Mini Pedigree from Ancestry.com


1 comment: