Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Andrew Charles Wenkel Part 1 1900-1910

Andrew Charles Wenkel is my Great Uncle, the brother of my Grandfather.  I never met any of his siblings.  I think I met cousins at the one reunion I attended when I was about 12 or so. 


Mini Pedigree from Ancestry.com

1900 Census, birth

Andrew Charles Wenkel was born 22 January 1900 in Gibson, Bay, Michigan.  I don't have primary source for this information.  I do have several Census, including this first one he's enumerated on:

August and Sophia Wenkel family 1900 Census page 1
Gibson, Michigan from Ancestry.com

In this census, which spans two pages, he is called "Charley.  He is only 4 months old, living  on 159 Dochen 40, Gibson, Bay County MI., with his eight older siblings.

I've searched google maps, and it hangs up on the "Dochen" part of the equation.  The only thing I have is Gibson Twp in Bay county MI.  Just a moment, let me look at the census once more ... loading ... aHAH!  The census doesn't say anything about which house number, nor which road they live on.  For some unexplained reason, the index on Ancestry.com has them living at 159 Dochen 40.  When I searched for the meaning of "Dochen 40" I kept coming up with a family name.  Perhaps the word means something in German, other than a last name, but I can't find it.  If you know, let me know, right?  the "Dochen 40" is an enigma.  But it is part of the story, at least.




YSL-O clipart
Catnip Studio Collage

1901 and 1903

Birth of sister Sophia M. Wenkel, 7 June 1901, Michigan; and birth of brother William Carl Wenkel, 3 December 1903, Gibson Township Michigan










Credit: Archive.org/Public Domain

1906, age 6

Historical Insight -- Michigan Central Railway Tunnel (from Ancestry.com)








1910 Census age 10




Andrew Charles aka "Charley" 1900 Census page 2
Gibson, Michigan from Ancestry.com

He was ten years old living in Gibson Michigan, living with his family on the farm.  He had eight older siblings and two younger.  Total of 11 children ages 23 to 6.  I wonder what they raised?  Corn?  Wheat?

Comment below if you know anything about this farm, or if you can place it on a map.  Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment